POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Mozilla and these newsgroups : Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:06:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mozilla and these newsgroups
From: Roz
Date: 12 Apr 2003 15:05:03
Message: <3e98635f@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> In article <3e9846a7$1@news.povray.org> , Roz <rzl### [at] netscapenet>  wrote:
>

>>So my suspicion is that there's something weird with Mozilla's
>>handling of it. Btw, http://news.povray.org passes the W3C
>>html validator so I would have expected Mozilla to handle the
>>site correctly.
>

> It isn't the HTML that is the problem, it is your security settings, which
> are a bit more than is useful on the web if you intend to use any online
> commercial service (booking, buying, registering, etc).  The POV-Ray web
> news view simply employs the same technologies to keep spam-bots out.

I did not say it was a problem with the HTML. I said I suspected it was
a problem with the way Mozilla was handling the site. I haven't run into
problems with commercial sites unless they've used some Java that seems
to only work with MS's JVM, which does not apply to news.povray.org.

>>Since the site works with Mozilla 1.3.1 for PoD, I will grab
>>that, compile it and give it a test. Mozilla isn't a quick
>>compile so I may be a while before reporting the results ;)
>

> Well, you most likely have wrong settings for cookies; they not only need to
> be accepted, but also send back to the server.  Maybe some default installs
> of Mozilla come with useless over-secure settings for cookies (that will not
> work with any popular websites).

I don't think there's such a thing as "wrong" cookie settings, just
perhaps incompatible ones. I suspected that which is why I tested
the site with all cookies enabled before even posting in this thread.

"Popular websites" is a very subjective statement but I really have
not run into problems with other sites. Perhaps you could provide
a URL for one of these popular sites that employes the same
technologies that http://news.povray.org uses when the Enter to
Groups button is clicked.

I have not said in this thread that the problem is the povray
site and if you got a different impression then I am sorry
about that. The problem definitely lies with Mozilla, either
with the browser itself or my (and several other peoples')
configuration. Since Mozilla is working correctly for some,
I am trying to find out what the differences could be including
getting a newer version compiled and installed.

-Roz